Monday 20 October 2008

How to Lose Friends and Alienate People.



In a fit of productivity I have decided to write another review.  Immediately after having written the Step Brothers one!  I know, I know, crazy stuff.

How to Lose Friends and Alienate People - Simon Pegg does America.

Having seen the trailers for this movie, I did not hold high hopes for it.  I think I only went to see it to see how Simon Pegg would function outside of his the niche he has managed to carve for himself.  I realise there has been Run, Fatboy Run - which I have thus far vehemently avoided watching and Big Nothing - which I have thus far unsuccessfully tried to erase from my memory, but this for me is his first proper Hollywood outing.  Despite its British Film Council and Film Four funding I still can't see any movie with Simon Pegg, Kirsten Dunst, Gillian Anderson, Jeff Bridges and Megan Fox as being anything like independent.  

Whole paragaph gone and I haven't even started to say what I thought.  Perhaps that is because my thoughts can be perfectly encapsulated in one word; meh.  At moments it was funny, at moments you felt some sort of empathy for the characters, but far too often it seemed like a lot of things I'd seen before but not quite as good.  I think I could've just watched the first ten minutes, went had a pint, came back for the last five and not really needed any catching up.  It's a rom-com, we know what happens, and then it does, and this is fulfilment?  This movie is consigned to the easily forgettable stuff that is churned out over and over again to entertain couples.  It is just that, a second date movie.  Not one for the DVD collection.

5/10
-no star thing, its only been two minutes-

Quite a short review actually.  Any excuse for that picture of Megan Fox.

No comments: