Monday 20 October 2008

Step Brothers.



It has been a week or so since my last review.  General laziness on my part, but hopefully I will keep this more updated from now on. 

Step Brothers - A return to form?

Will Ferrell has went downhill lately, following the excellent Anchorman and Talladega Nights his movie went into a bit of a slump in my opinion with Blades of Glory and the distinctly average Semi-Pro.  It is perhaps a symptom of this downturn in form that has seen the Set Rogen, Judd Apatow, Evan Goldberg group to emerge so triumphantly.  Step Brothers, however, is most definitely a return to form as it sees him reunited with John C. Reilly and has them both performing at their comic best.  Ok, its not the most nuanced of plots and it never even attempts to make any grand statement about life, but that is precisely why it works.  It is just plain funny.  Gut wrenching humour at its finest, this reminds why for a while we flocked to see anything Will Ferrell name appeared on.

The support cast are all excellent also, with Adam Scott in particular playing the annoying brother so convincingly that most of the movie I wanted to punch his smiling face almost as much as the characters.  Although, that might have something to do with his likeness to a certain Mr. Cruise.  

I'd like to think I was planning a long in depth review here, but the truth is there isn't much to say about Step Brothers, except that it is the perfect saturday night movie.  One I could watch again and again and still find funny.  Let's just hope Will Ferrell can follow this up with another one to rival Judd Apatow's lot.

7/10 
I know I said I'd make fancy star things, and at one point I will...maybe.

No comments: